[fluka-discuss]: Question about energy loss

From: Shirley Li <shirleyli.phys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:47:48 -0400

Dear FLUKA users,

I'm simulating photon (electromagnetic) showers in water. The primary
photon energy is 10 GeV. As a check, I want to make sure I find where the
energy goes on a event-by-event basis. For every primary photon, I add up
all the continuous energy loss (DTRACK) and the point energy loss (RULL),
and they count for most of the energy (>99%). I also add the energies
carried away by particle escaping the water region. However, for some
(very small portion) primaries, the energy in DTRACK + RULL + boundary
crossing is only around 7-8 GeV, compared to the total 10 GeV.

My question is where else could the energy go? Is there anything I'm
missing?

I read some discussions on similar topics in the list. But, it seems like
they tend to have the opposite problem, i.e., deposited energy is more than
the primary energy. Also, I couldn't imagine neutron interaction or
nuclear interaction affect this much energy.

Thank you very much!!
Shirley