Re: [fluka-discuss]: Using info. from USRBIN

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 09:24:56 +0200

Dear Mina,

> So in principle, I should be able to add up all the values in the data file
> from the 1-D projection, multiply the total by (0.013) and get the total
> energy deposition in the upstream window (or close to it - cylindrical
> binning would have been a better choice). The slice widths in X and Y are
> both 1 cm. I get 203 Watts! So I am not converging to the total energy
> deposition I see via the simple SCORE card (58.34 Watts).
> Am I doing something wrong?

yes, your calculation is not consistent with what yourself wrote upward in
your message and turns out to be wrong by a factor of 13. Either you
multiply the *average* energy density (sum over bins ---> divided by
number of bins) by the *total* volume (0.013 cm3) or - which obviously is
in fact the same thing - you integrate by adding up the energy densities
and multiplying by the *single bin volume* (0.001 cm3).
So you have now the opposite problem: you get an underestimation of the
energy deposition in the window, that might be easily explained by the
fact that you integrate over a transverse area of 1cm2 whereas your window
has a surface almost 6 times larger (according to the radius you
reported).
As reassuring principle for any - always useful - crosscheking, SCORE
values are certainly identical to the ones obtained by a suitable USRBIN
mesh.

Ciao

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti