Re: [fluka-discuss]: Average excitation energy + nuclear interaction data

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 18:16:52 +0200

Dear Ana,
Fluka uses ICRU I-values for elements and for the predefined compounds.
For all other compounds, the the Bragg additivity rule is used. The user
can change the I-values through the MAT-PROP card, and the Sternheimer
parameters with the STERNHEI card. Suggestions (ICRU..) are in the Flair
material database.

Regarding the second question, what do you mean exactly with "nuclear
interaction data" ?
Regards
Paola

> Dear all
>

> I would like to know how the average excitation energy value presented on
> the output file is computed.
>

> As you know in the ICRU report 37 are presented the I-values for all
> elements but these values are different depending if the element is a
> constituent of a compound. Does FLUKA take in account the I-values for the
> elements if they are constituents of compounds? If so, how can I know
> which I-value for each element of a compound is FLUKA using? In the output
> file is just presented the average excitation energy for the compound used
> (and not for each element as well).
>

> Also, I would like to ask the developers if it's possible to print the
> nuclear interaction data per element that FLUKA uses, or how can I have
> access to that information?
>

> Many thanks,
>
> Ana

Paola Sala