Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to define a proton beam which is in the x-axis negative direction?

From: Leonel Raul Morejon Hernandez <leonel.rmh_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2014 11:55:38 +0200

Dear Chen Yuan,

In Fluka the default beam direction is in the positive sense of the
z-axis of the beam's reference frame. However you may change that
setting in BEAMPOS card the WHAT(4) and WHAT(5) which receive the
cosines of the beam direction with respect to x-axis and y-axis in the
beam reference frame. In your case you have provided value 0.0 for both
of them leaving the default beam direction. Then in your BEAMAXES card
you are setting only the 3 first WHAT, which is incomplete, you should
set them all following the link provided.

In any case, for the way you want your beam would put the following
settings:

BEAM -0.008 4.0 4.0 proton
BEAMPOS -3.0 0.0 0.0 1.0 0.0
BEAMAXES -1.0 0.0 0.00.0 0.0 0.0

where I changed minimally your settings (changes in red). What these
values mean is: the beam direction is put in the positive sense of
x-axis in the beam's reference frame (card BEAMPOS in WHAT(4) ). And as
you did, the x-axis of the beam reference frame is oriented in the
direction of the negative sense of x-axis in the geometry reference
frame thus your protons should be correctly oriented that way.
You can always check your beam settings in the output of the run (.out
file).

Cheers,

Leonel

Leonel Raul Morejon Hernandez