[fluka-discuss]: FLUKA vs GEANT4 B4C efficiency

From: Georgios Tsiledakis <Georgios.Tsiledakis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 08:04:18 +0000

Dear experts,

Please have a look at the attached pdf&input file...
A perpendicular thermal neutron beam hits a 2 micrometer B4C layer (B10)
placed in front of a gaseous volume of CF4 (100k primaries).
-The slide 1 shows the material used in Fluka/Geant4 respectively.
-Slides 2-3==> The energy deposition in the gas with/without energy detection thr.
 The He4&Li7 contributions as well as the response when 100k g of 500 keV hit the
 B4C layer - FLUKA MC.

-Slides 4-5==> The same spectra BUT obtained by Geant4.

-Slide 6==>Comparison of the 2 MC codes at Ethr > 10 keV.

My questions are the following:

1) Why there is this 13% difference in the efficiencies?

2) Why we cannot obtain in FLUKA the electrons or gammas distribution superimposed together
     with Li and He?
     The alphas in Geant4 close to E = 0 are also 0 contrary to Fluka.

Does this difference comes due to the :
- Difference cross section in B10 for the 2 codes?
- Does the dE/dX for for very small energies+very small thickness for e,g can give
   such discepancies?
- What's code is the right estimation for this study?

I am looking forward to hearing from you

Best regards

Georgios