Re: [fluka-discuss]: Stopping powers for proton therapy applications

From: Anna Ferrari <a.ferrari_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 14:55:41 +0200

Dear Ana, dear Luke,

Stopping powers as printed in FLUKA output refer to momentum loss (dp/dx), not
to energy loss (dE/dx) as reported by NIST. If you did not take into account
this difference you compared different quantities and this can explain the
"discrepancies" you see.
At high energies the value of proton momentum is very close to energy, so
FLUKA numbers seem to agree with NIST. But at lower energies, and especially
for particles heavier than protons, there can be no agreement. In the case of
Ana the discrepancy -as expected- can be observed better for graphite, which
has half density compared with water.

This point was already clarified by Mario Santana:
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/6985.html

Hope this helps,
best regards,
Anna

Anna Ferrari
Institute of Radiation Physics
Helmholtz-Zentrum Dresden-Rossendorf e.V.
a.ferrari_at_hzdr.de