RE: [fluka-discuss]: dose scoring in a thin volume

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 09:31:44 +0000

Dear Giuseppe,
I have modified your scoring (see attached input) and used a cylindrical binning to evaluate the dose (to keep the cylindrical symmetry it would be cleaner to use a cylindrical beam rather than a square one). If I make a single bin in phi here is what I obtained (see two D colour plot). If now I extract the different rings of the binning you see the value, looking at z = 1 cm the dose in the different bin seem rather similar and does not change much along z as you are in the plateau, so I am not sure there is such a dependency on the size of your scoring volume (at the edge of the beam spot there is one but it is clearly physical)...
Maybe you could do the calculations with a pencil beam. In a more general way, when scoring in small volume it is always good to look at the tips given in the following course material (ionization and transport) :
https://www.fluka.org/free_download/course/dresden2013/Lectures/14_Ionization_and_Transport_1013.pdf
with a convenient ionization transport cheat sheet....
Hoping this help
Regards
Joachim