Re: [fluka-discuss]: Estimators used in FLUKA

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2015 09:50:36 -0800 (PST)

Greetings.

USRBIN may be used to score fluence or non-fluence quantities, depending on the
user's request via WHAT(2). When we ask for fluence or fluence-based quantities,
estimation is by track length. You actually don't have to believe me ;) It would
be more convincing to open the .out file, go to "******* "usrbin" option:"
section and you will find the statement, "this is a track-length binning". It
is, naturally, also detailed in the manual under the USRBIN section.

DETECT does not detect fluence. DETECT gives the pulse height spectra, akin to a
multichannel analyser. Scoring is by energy deposition, as opposed to fluence.
That was what I meant when I contrasted the two in yesterday's message. Without
energy deposition the Canberra / Genie screen would show zero counts no matter
how frantically we press the arrow-up button. For the definition of
'coincidence' please see the DETECT section in the manual, as 'coincidence' can
mean different things to different people
(http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/6782.html).

:)