RE: [fluka-discuss]: Stopping power of protons in water (next part)

From: Vasilis Vlachoudis <Vasilis.Vlachoudis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:38:14 +0000

Hi Jean Emmanuel,

the best is the output from DELTARAY. You can always increase the tabulation by altering the WHAT(2) and/or WHAT(3)

If you want to calculate with simulation (which is no-brainer in this case) but just for the fun of it
- create a very thin geometry (e.g. thickness 10um) of WATER (use the default water material from FLUKA)
- turn off the EMF (with EMF-OFF)
- increase the dp/dx tabulation with the DELTARAY
- set your proton beam at 30MeV
- increase the inelastic/elastic interaction thresholds to something higher than your beam with THRESHOLD
- score with USRBIN by region the total energy deposited
divide your region-energy by your target thickness
I've got 18.76 MeV/cm with 1e7 protons

Vasilis