Re: [fluka-discuss]: biasing for Compton scattering

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2015 22:02:40 +0100

Dear Hamideh,

the biasing you have set is very far from fulfilling your aim, it is even
counterproductive. You are applying leading particle biasing to Compton
scattering, which means that only one particle out of the photon and
electron in the final state is retained, the other is killed to save CPU
time (something that is explained in the manual - EMF-BIAS card, Note 9 -
and I strongly doubt you really need). I do not see how you can imagine
that this is going to automatically filter the photon distribution at a
boundary.
For such a filter - in case it really brings an added value -, one needs
to implement some dedicated coding. In mgdraw.f - entry USDRAW - one can
intercept a Compton scattering event (IF ICODE.EQ.219) and look at its
products. This in principle allows also to tag the scattered photon via
stupre.f and then to identify it at scoring level (fluscw.f).
These techniques (user routine related) are somewhat advanced and - in
addition to the manual - are treated in the advanced course material
(https://indico.cern.ch/event/334606/contribution/17/material/slides/0.pdf)
and were discussed several times in this list archive.

Moreover, note that you can forget about photonuclear reactions with a
photon energy upper limit of 200 keV.

Kind regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti