RE: [fluka-discuss]: Can FLUKA start with errors in the geometry definition?

From: Joachim Vollaire <joachim.vollaire_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 14:50:55 +0000

Dear Franz

I am not surprise by your result which highlight the importance of having proper checks of the geometry with the various debugging options (flair, FLUKA, SimpleGeo....) before running the production calculations.

The strategy in FLUKA is to minimize the time spend on particle tracking through the geometry. Basically when you transport the particle, the code check (based on the track length), if the boundary of the region is crossed at the next calculated interactions points. If this is the case, the new region has to be found to start tracking from the boundary (sampling of new interaction points).
The first time, the code will loop sequentially over the region until it finds a region where the particle enter (and will stop without checking for other possible candidates which would be too penalizing CPU wise).
The new region is then associated as a likely neighbour for the regions which has been left left (in the array with the dimension specified for initialization after the region name in the input ). The next time the new region will be searched based on the likely neighbour (stored in the array) which speeds up the time spent on tracking for complex geometry. So if you have a geometry which is not properly defined as you have illustrated you may always track in one of the two possible regions but as it is a random process it could be that depending from where you enter the region FLUKA consider water or air leading to even more strange results. The order in the region definition may also change the result, thus the importance of my first statement...

The debugger will however test all candidate regions and report overlaps (or missing regions which would also be reported during transport in that case)

Greetings
Joachim