Re: [fluka-discuss]: how to define a thick target bremsstrahlung

From: Alberto Fasso <fasso_at_mail.cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 11:27:10 +0100

Dear Bo Yang,

"thick target bremsstrahlung" has no precise physical meaning. Its
definition is arbitrary: everybody can give a different definition,
depending on the application.
For instance, Ervin B. Podgorsak, in his book "Radiation Physics for
Medical Physicists" gives still another definition (on p. 164):
"Thick x-ray targets have thicknesses of the order of the range of
electrons R in the target material. In practice, typical thicknesses are
equal to about 1.1 R to satisfy two opposite conditions:
1. To ensure that no electrons that strike the target can traverse the
target
2. To minimize the attenuation of the bremsstrahlung beam in the target"

Since your application is radiation protection, you should adopt the most
conservative definition, which seems to be that of IAEA188.

Alberto