Re: [fluka-discuss]: Energy response - interpretation of results

From: Mikhail Polkovnikov <Михаил Полковников> <pmk_at_ihep.ru>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 12:49:01 +0300

On 09.04.2015 23:10, Ewa.Nalichowska wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I would like to ask you for help with my results’ interpretation and/or
> finding mistakes in my understanding the problem. The short description
> of the problem:
>
> The goal: make a plot with energy response of detector (OSL) in
> dependence of incident photon energy
>
> Realization in fluka: I’m using flat, rectangular, monoenergetic field of
> photons (with energy from 35 -1400keV) which pass through detectors. My
> geometry: 4 identical OSL detectors placed on PMMA phantom; 3 of them are
> behind shields (Cu, Al, ABS) and 4th is bare; all detectors are contained
> in cassette (dosemeter) also made from ABS. I would like to obtain
> energy response of each detector in dependence of incident photon energy.
> For scoring I used USRBIN (I got energy deposited per cm3 per primary) and
> USRTRACK (I got energy fluence in GeV per cm2 per primary). I normalized
> all my results to water (another simulation where I replaced OSL material
> to water)
>
> Problem: I don’t know if I can understand energy response of detector as
> energy fluence or energy deposited which I obtained directly from fluka.
> I suppose that plot (made with data obtained from simulation) with
> relative energy fluence is correct, because for high energies this
> function is constant, but I can’t understand why on second plot with
> relative energy deposited in detector this quantity is rising for high
> energies.
>
> I enclosed both plots, which are made on base of results from fluka. This
> is my first simulation , so I would be grateful for any help or tips.
> Regards,
> Ewa
Dear Ewa,

It's difficult to answer properly without having input file.

What was transport threshold for low energy photons?
What type of binning WHAT(1) did you use in USRBIN to measure energy
response: Region, X-Y-Z or something else?
Did you use the DETECT card to simulate a detector response, or you just
interested in a total value by means of USRBIN?

Best regards,
Mikhail