Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to define an radioactive Isotope as source

From: Mikhail Polkovnikov <Михаил Полковников> <pmk_at_ihep.ru>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 09:11:25 +0300

On 23.04.2015 19:08, Alexander Götzelmann wrote:

> Dear FLUKA-Experts,
>
> I'm an absolute FLUKA-beginner. I already worked the FLUKA-Course and
> read the specific FLUKA-threads, but I still have some questions.
>
> My Simulation object is an container for radioactive waste. The waste
> is composed of several radioctive isotopes. The divergence type of the
> beam is isotropic.
> I'm just interested in the dose rate (caused only by prompt
> gamma-radiation. Dose rate caused by secondaries like electrons or
> positrons can be disregarded) in 1 m distance from the container.
>
> So my question is: *how can I define the source consisting of one
> radioactive isotope* (let's say CO-60). As suggested in the
> FLUKA-Course I set SDUM = Isotope of the BEAM-Card and HI-PROP with
> A,Z-Settings and the RADDECAY in Semi-Analogue mode.
>
> But the Manual says, that the RADDECAY-Card "requests simulation of
> decay of produced radioactive nuclides and allows to modify biasing
> and transport thresholds (defined with other cards) for the transport
> of decay radiation"[FLUKA-Manual].
>
> But I'm not interested in the decay of produced radioactive nuclides.
> I just want to simulate a radioactive isotope as source.
>
> In Addition, I want to respect the intensity of the isotope. By
> setting the IRRPROFI-Card I can define the intensity. But does this
> Card workes in Semi-Analogue mode (without DCYTIMES-Card).
>
> Do I have an error in reasoning ?
>
> I would appreciate, if somebody can help me.
>
> P.S.:
>
> *Is EM-CASCA the appropriate default for my problem?*
>
> Thank you,
>
> Alexander
>
> Activation
Dear Alexander,

If you don't interested in biasing during decay or change transport
parameters of radiation products, just use default RADDECAY card.

In Semi-Analogue mode the intensity in IRRPROFI card is ignored and
irradiation profile applied to radioactive products only.

Please look on these slides
https://indico.cern.ch/event/334606/contribution/39/material/slides/0.pdf,
they much more informative in case of radioactivity description.

Here is a rough example in attachment.