Re: [fluka-discuss]: energy spectrum from USRTRACK or USRBDX

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 11:35:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Faith,

Indeed we have different ways of getting energy spectra:
- via fluence estimators (USRBDX, USRTRACK, USRCOLL);
- DETECT;
- by plowing through collision tapes;
- via user routines e.g. mgdraw.f, filter according to your needs i.e. no
plowing.

> how do I retrieve the energy spectrum using USRTRACK or USRBDX?
* The x-axis is energy; the y-axis is the fluence. You can see this from the
manual and from FLAIR tooltips.

DETECT also gives you data where x-axis is energy. But this energy distribution
has a completely different meaning from the fluence-estimate of energy
distribution. Please see the course materials and manual more carefully. DETECT
behaves like a multichannel analyser (at Surrey's Dept of Physics you have
CANBERRA with GENIE). DETECT, like multichannel analysers, adds together ENERGY
DEPOSITION from all secondaries belonging to the same source particle (called
'primary' in FLUKA nomenclature). This energy distribution is completely
different from USRTRACK and USRBDX, which tell us the energy of the particles,
as opposed to the energy deposited by the particles.

:) mary