Re: [fluka-discuss]: Modelling a beam loss monitor

From: Santana, Mario <msantana_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 01:05:34 +0000

Hi Hayley,

You don't need to activate LOW-NEU since it is already active with the PRECISIOn default that you are using.

The fact that you don't get any energy deposition in the BLM means that either particles do not reach the BLM gas region (your primary particles may go along the beam line without losses, or losses occur far enough from the BLM) or they cross the BLM gas volume without interactions. To examine that, plot the FLUENCE of particles to see if anything reaches the BLM and whether some interaction is apparent.
Once you are sure that there are showers reaching the BLM active volume, you could change the gas material or increase its density to evaluate whether your problem is just statistics.
I recommend also to 'test' your setting first by sending a beam to a BLM, once you are sure things work OK, you can use your setup of magfld + source

- Mario