[fluka-discuss]: Timing information

From: Matthew Parnell <m.parnell_at_lancaster.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2015 15:07:08 +0100

Hi FLUKA users,

TL;DR:

    Is there any way to know how long the simulation ran for in it's own
    universe? (not computational time)

I'm trying to compare several geometries against another. For example,
testing which shields around a target are better.

Now I'm using the USRBDX, differential fluence from the *_tab.lis files,
when combing the data.

I'm dividing the output for the shield geometry by the output of no
shielding. This should give an idea of how many more particles pass
through the region; >1 bad, <1 good.

However, I'm getting some larger numbers than I expected, and it could
very well be close to the truth. However there are several factors that
could be the issue.

The higher the Z, the longer the particles will propagate through.
Now I kind of understand the reason why FLUKA chooses to use fluence
rather than flux, however it would be nice to have access to timing
information. Even if it is the total time *within* the simulation, that
would at least give me a timed average, however I cannot find such
information. Is there a way to extract this information?

--
Matthew Parnell
m.parnell_at_lancaster.ac.uk