[fluka-discuss]: Re: Primary protons absorbed in a nuclear interaction vs elastic large angle scattered

From: Ferreira De Almeida Lourenco, Ana <am.lourenco_at_ucl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 12:34:13 +0000

Dear Anton and all,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I have a few questions that I would like to clarify.

ICRU63 defines an elastic nuclear reaction as follows:
* A reaction in which the incident projectile scatters off the target
nucleus, with the total kinetic energy being conserved (the internal
state of the target nucleus and of the projectile are unchanged by the
reaction)

while nonelastic
* ... is a general term referring to nuclear interactions that are not
elastic (i.e., kinetic energy is not conserved). For instance, the target
nucleus may undergo breakup, it may be excited into a higher quantum
state, or a particle transfer reaction may occur.

and inelastic
* ... refers to a specific type of nonelastic reaction in which the kinetic
energy is not conserved, but the final nucleus is the same as the
bombarded nucleus.

1- Are particles from inelastic and nonelastic nuclear reactions considered as secondaries in FLUKA? Even the final state protons from inelastic and nonelastic reactions, right?

2- Final state protons from elastic nuclear reaction are considered as primaries, right?

3- I am interested to analyse the fraction of protons that undergo an elastic nuclear interaction. And I believe these protons will be included in BEAMPART, where some have suffered electromagnetic interactions and others elastic nuclear reactions. Is this right? If so, how can I distinguish them?

Many thanks,

Ana