[fluka-discuss]: Fluka/Flair bug

From: Carl Ross <carlkross_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 18:36:46 -0500

Re: failure of Fluka/Flair to trap a missing component in the input file.

I am working on a problem where I need to define a new material, namely
mono-isotopic Mo-100.

Flair reported no problems with the input file but each time I would
attempt to run it, Fluka would report that it could not write a file
related to the random number seed:

     No rantest1002 generated!

I continued to reduce the input file to a simpler form (attached) still
with no success.

Through trial and error I discovered that one must define a LOW-MAT card
for a new material even though neutron transport is of no interest.

Perhaps this point could be emphasized in the documentation if it cannot
easily be caught by Flair. (Note 7 under MATERIAL in the user manual is
relevant, but it suggests LOW-MAT is only needed if neutron transport is of
interest).

My conclusion (based on limited evidence) is that, if you define a new
material, you must deal with LOW-MAT.

Also, anything that could lead to a more meaningful error would be very
helpful.

In general, Fluka/Flair is an impressive software package,

Carl Ross