Re: [fluka-discuss]: Gamma spectra generated by thermal neutron capture

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:28:37 +0100

Hi Adam ,
I'm afraid that Cadmium is the (happy) exception..
In general, for raction induced by neutrons below 20 MeV, the photons are
generated in 42 energy groups, according to data in the available
evaluations (ENDF/B, JEF, JENDL etc.). Thus, there are no sharp peak.
This is what you see in the Cu case. By the way, the datasets are the same
for 63-Cu and nat-Cu, so you'll not see any difference in between the two.
For a couple of selected elements, namely Cd, Xe, Ar, the fluka developers
 developed a model to sample gammas from neutron capture, based on
available level schemes.That's why you get sharp lines out of Cd.

Regards
Paola
> Dear FLUKA experts.
> I'm trying to obtain photon spectra generated by thermal neutron beam
> irradiating sheet of natural copper and isotope 63Cu. Photon spectra
> recorded in the detector look odd for me, I mean its structure, which does
> not contain sharp gamma lines. What am I doing wrong?
> I would add that I'm doing the test calculations for sheet of natural
> cadmium and there one can see the expected gamma lines as it should be.
> Best regards
> Adam Wasilewski

Paola Sala
INFN Milano