Re: [fluka-discuss]: Thermal neutron absorbtion in cooled target

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2016 08:39:53 +0100

Dear Emilio,
choosing Lithium-87 K, is sufficient, you should not change anything else.
About the thermal groups option in LOW-NEUT, it is there only to allow
compatibility in case a different neutron library would exist (it did for
a while in the past). Both the thermal group number, and the 3 eV
threshold (a stanard for multigroup treatment) are adopted to possibly
account for low and high temperatures. The correct settings for the
actual choosen temperature are done internally.
Hope this helps
Paola
> Dear Fluka experts,
>
> I am trying to simulate the neutron absorbtion in a Li target. I would
> like
> to simulate also the low-temperature case, where the Li is cooled down.
>
> To be more precise, the neutron interact with a LiOD target, that act both
> as a moderator, slowing them down to thermal energies, and as a converter,
> since the neutrons are mostly absorbed by Li.
>
> However, I am not sure how I can modify the temperature of the system. I
> noticed that in the LOW-MAT card there is the option Lithium-87 K, which
> is
> a reasonable temperature for my goals. Is it sufficient to select this
> option? Or should I change also orther parameters?
>
> For example, in the LOW-NEUT card it is possible to change the energy
> groups where the neutron are considered thermal (WHAT(5), even if in Flair
> there is no automatic option to do that). Is it necessary to change also
> that parameter?
>
> I also noticed that, in the default setting, the neutron below 3 eV are
> thermal, however this temperature seems quite high to me, it's around
> 30.000 K, right? If I want to simulate the neutron absorbtion at room
> temperature, should I also change that parameter?
>
> Thank you for your help
> Emilio Ciuffoli

Paola Sala
INFN Milano