Re: [fluka-discuss]: How to calculate LET

From: <meghms_at_barc.gov.in>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 17:34:58 +0530

Hi Paola,
        Thank you so much for your valuable response. I have made one
fresh input file as per your suggestion. Presently I have taken
the beam direction along Z-axis and the beam particles are
traveling in a cone of radius 2 cm from a distance of 50.17 cm
from the surface of the radiator. The detector material has been
changed to CR-39 (PADC) from PMMA. The energy of the incoming
neutrons is taken as 1 MeV.
Now I have got some results from USRYIELD card as briefed below:

The number of recoil protons which are transported from RADIATOR to
DETECTOR region is 2.30E-2 per primary. Whereas the result from RESNUCLEI
card shows that the total no. of recoil protons in RADIATOR region is
1.20E-2 per primary which is less than the previous value!!!
Again in 23 _tab.lis file results are given in four columns, what I am
guessing is
(1st -2nd column) -range of LET,
3rd column - yield of recoil proton and
4th column - associated errors.

If it is so then what is the unit of LET??

Actually I wanted to calculate the total LET deposited by the recoil
protons within the 0.07 cm of detector thickness. This will certainly be
the sum of the following two events:

1. Those recoil protons which are transported from RADIATOR region to
DETECTOR and depositing the energy.
2. Those recoil protons which are directly formed between the interaction
of incoming neutron and Hydrogen (1H) atom present in the detector
(CR-39).

In the first case WHAT (4) and WHAT (5) in the USRYIELD card are region
“rad” and “DETECT” respectively where I have got yield of 2.30E-2 per
primary.
But in the second case I have put “DETECT” in both WHAT (4) and WHAT (5)
in USRYIELD. This gave yield of 0 (zero).

[The input file, the source card and the results are attached below].
May be I am doing something wrong!!
But how can I get total LET (KeV/micron) within the detector region??

thanks in advance,
Meghnath