Re: [fluka-discuss]: RE: Question about bragg peak of Ar ion

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 17:21:22 +0200

Dear Zhefu,

you are almost there. You have a 70keV/n beam and by default, with
PRECISIO, you get a 25keV/n transport threshold, so your beam falls below
threshold pretty early generating the flat profile artefact related to the
single ranging out step below threshold.
Please lower the ion transport threshold down to the 250eV/n hard limit,
through a PART-THR card setting 1keV for alpha particles (total kinetic
energy corresponding to 250eV/n):

PART-THR -1E-06 4-HELIUM

The minus sign corresponds to kinetic energy selection.
Note that ions with A>4 are automatically given the same threshold (in
terms of kinetic energy per nucleon) as alphas.
This way you will eventually obtain the expected range.
But of course you will not see any Bragg peak, since your beam energy is
so low as to lie in an interval where the stopping power increases (not
decreases) with energy.

Best regards

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti