[fluka-discuss]: modelling radioisotope in the water container - medical applications -

From: Ševčik Aleksandras <aleksandras.sevcik_at_ktu.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 07:20:44 +0000

Dear all,

I'm new to Fluka and some misc details are hard to grasp with available tutorials. I didnt not have any such experience before and I am medical physicist student (more oriented into the medicine than theoretical physics) so I spent a great deal of time in trying to understand the code. If someone could help me with the case below, hopefully one day I'll be able to be an active Fluka community member myself and help others as well.

I am interested in modelling brachytherapy. For the initial setup I have a water container and incapsulated iridium-192 source.
For the sake of experiment: activity of the source 1.665e+13 bq (mass 1 g), and I want to keep it in the container for 30 sec. I would like to get a dose map in Gy.

1) DEFAULTS: EM–CASCAde enough or PRECISION?

BEAM: sdum ISOTOPE, no other values needed. Then using HI-PROPE for declaring isotope (A & Z) and selecting BEAMPOS.First BEAMPOS with no SDUM, stating the center of source, and adding 2nd BEAMPOS with sdum CYLI-VOL.

Adding RADDECAY: semi-analogue, the rest is default
Adding DCYSCORE: semi- analogue, USRBIN

2) question: in such mode, how should I specify the amount (activity) of radioisotope? Is it calculated automatically (volume*density) by FLUKA in regards to BEAMPOS CYLI-VOL ?

3) question: how to specify the time the radioisotope is allowed to be in the water container? TCQUENCH card?

Finally, adding USRBIN, X-Y-Z, DOSE. As I understand I'll get DOSE in GeV/g. How should I apply normalization factor 1.602 E-7/r, where r is a water density in this case, r= 1 g/ cm3, so norm factor 1.602 E-7

4) question: where should I put this norm factor? and why sometimes I can see several USRBIN in similar examples, associated later with DCYSCORE?

Last question: maybe it is necessary to use a voxel geometry in such cases? But USRBIN allows to get doses and without it? So in which cases voxel geometry is preferred?

Kind thanks to anyone willing to share,

Regards
Alexander