Re: [fluka-discuss]: About Na-22 production from (n,2n) reaction of Na-23, when activation analysis

From: Luigi Salvatore Esposito <luigi.salvatore.esposito_at_cern.ch>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 11:49:05 +0000

Dear Sung Hun Kim,
first of all, please keep the mail exchange on the list, so that also other can contribute (I included your input to this email for documentation).

In your setup, you have a 18 MeV proton beam impinging on a water target, which is 2.5 cm thick.
Since the range of a 18 MeV proton is about 4 mm, only neutrons produced in the water can actually exit the target in the direction of the Na wall.
I ran you input and I found that the energy of neutrons escaping the target in the direction of the wall drops very rapidly from about 10 MeV.
Considering that the reaction 23Na(n,2n)22Na has a threshold of about 13 MeV, it’s not surprising that no 22Na are produced with a limited statistics.
You need to consider to run much more primaries or better to bias the problem.

Just as cross-check to convince yourself that 22Na are indeed produced, you can set the target to sodium.

Best regards, luigi