Re: Re: Re: [fluka-discuss]: Contribution of different particles to the detector signal !

From: YANG Tao <yangt_at_ihep.ac.cn>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 01:49:04 +0800 (GMT+08:00)

Dear Vittorio,

Thanks for your detailed reply. Problems become clearer to me, but I still have some doubts.

1. <<The "fiction" you do in the simulation is to account all the energy lost by delta rays to the original particle interaction.<<

Reply: OK, indeed, the outside electrons cannot enter in the detector. However, if we assume that the radiation field only has gamma ray, it's reasonable to attribute the energy deposition causing by gamma incident (despite of the detail process inside the detector) to the gamma contribution to the eventual detector signal. Obviously, gamma has 100% contribution to the detector signal since it assumes that the radiation field only has gamma. Using USRBIN+AUXSCORE card inside the detector sensitive volume, then we respectively score energy depositon by selecting option "ALL-PART", "PHOTON" and "ELECTRON", thus, the total energy deposition (value:A), deposition by gamma(B) and by electron(C) are obtained. Simulation always shows that A≈C>>B. There is no problem that electrons inside the sensitive volume are also generated by the gamma, and A also corresponds to the detector signal. But if there is a method to suppress the gamma-generated electrons or other particles generated electrons in the sensitive volume, I don't know if I will obtain that B equals to A for electrons cannot be created by doing this, if it is true, we can simplify the contribution of different particles in the mixed radiation field to the detector signal.

2.<< Your detector will see only the effects of the particles crossing it. Each particle has a history, a "father" process/interaction which generated it, and "children" particles which were generated by the interaction. therefore the AUXSCORE card uses this information to understand how much energy deposition was caused by a gamma, neutron or whatever else effect.<<

Reply: as replied above, when I add an AUXSCORE card for PHOTON, the result seems to show that energy deposition of gamma only generates the 1st-generation electrons, and the 1st generation electrons also generate the 2nd-generation electrons and so on, FLUKA seems to attribute the energy deposition after the 1st generation electrons by gamma interaction to ELECTRON's contribution, thus, we get a maximum deposition value from electrons and we cannot evaluate the contribution to the detector signal from particles in the outside mixed field. Perhaps the problem should be simply solved, but I don't know the specific method.

3.<< If you need the full particle tree history following the primary interaction you can always use the USERDUMP card, but this can generate a lot of data.I would first try to have under control the simulation of the detector response for specific primaries. In real life you would do the same by calibrating your detector response with specific particles and specific energy relevant to your problem.Second you need to get familiar with the particle fluences and spectra at the detector using a few USRTRACK and USRYIELD cards.Only then you can introduce the mixed radiation field. This can be achieved by changing the source term.<<

Reply: This suggestion may be the "fold method" but it is too complex and hard for me. Nevertheless, I get the detector response function of different primaries, but the response function only corresponds to some simplified situations that the primary beam direction with respect to the detector longitudinal direction is respectively 0, 90, 180, 270 degree. In the real mixed field, the direction of coming particles has all the possible values, but it's impossible to calculate response functions of all orientations. So how to use the obtained response function or could you send me some detailed references?

Best regards!

Yang