Re: [fluka-discuss]: Contribution of different particles to the detector signal !

From: Vittorio Boccone <dr.vittorio.boccone_at_ieee.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 12:06:48 +0100

Dear Yang,
 ok, thank you for the detail. So we are talking about ionisation detector used a beam loss monitors. Now I would need to now which is the goal of your simulation.
> Attachment is the ionization-chamber-type detector model, the region named "detector"(filled with Ar+ nitrogen mixed gas) is defined as the sensitive volume. I simply simulate the detector response to a beam loss and find which particle in the mixed radiation field(generated by beam loss on tube) has a main contribution to the detector signal.

The word “simply” above means you are using approximations. If you one want a very realistic simulation one should add all the detector simulation processes. If you need to study which particle type of the of your radiation field has the higher contribution to the BLM signal you need to study the radiation field spectra and fluencies at the BLM position.

> "Another option could be define a special material for the detector and to change the electron generation and transport threshold: in this way all the energy deposition will be attributed to the particle which first interact in the detector."
>
> What is "a special material" mentioned above? BLACKHOLE? And electron generation and transport threshold, i.e., setting in the EMFCUT card, but what value is to be set? Based on what is considered?

No not the BLACKHOLE. Just one could redefine another material or region for the detector active volume where threshold for generation and transport are different. Forget about this case it won’t help you much with this specific detector case.
An option could be to select the contribution of a specific particle type is to write a usurped routine as suggested try Roberto
http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/9680.html <http://www.fluka.org/web_archive/earchive/new-fluka-discuss/9680.html>but in your case WEE will be “ONEONE” only for the particle type you want to study and zero for everything else.
Again, now I know your detector but not your simulation goal…

> I think the detector geometrical effects cannot be ignored. In the simulated detector response to specific particle, response should also correspond to a specific incident angle as shown in the response function of LHC beam loss monitors(attached file: ResponseF.pdf).

Well, it depends your simulation goal. You probably went through the bibliography of the LHC BLM response study technical note you sent me, so you looked at Markus Stockner thesis.
In both cases shown by the paper they study the response of the detector but they don’t give you the details about how this was done. It’s an LHC technical note not an article.

Best,
Vittorio