[fluka-discuss]: Sampling beam divergence

From: Mitja Majerle <majerle_at_ujf.cas.cz>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2017 19:58:14 +0100

Dear experts,

I would like to program to source.f the sampling of the beam divergence,
gaussian with FWHM (as can be defined with BEAM card). How do I do this
properly ?

I start with sampling of the isotropic distribution, where I sample
vectors as u=cos(theta), v=sqrt(1-u^2)sin(phi), w=sqrt(1-u^2)cos(phi),
where cos(theta) is sampled uniformly in the interval [-1,1] and phi in
the interval [0,2Pi]. My idea for beam divergence was to sample theta,
and since dOmega=sin(theta)*dtheta*dphi and dN/dOmega is gaussian, this
gives that I need to sample theta from sin(theta)*gauss(FWHM). If I
tabulate the values and then sample I get oscillations near theta=0. How
is this (sampling with DIVBM) implemented in the fluka source code ?

Thank you,

Mitja