Re: [fluka-discuss]: Cl 39 beta decay

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_mi.infn.it>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 08:25:44 +0100

Dear Guanying Zhu,
Cl39 decays to Ar39, and Ar39 decays beta- with a single end-point at 565
keV to K39 which is stable.
FLUKA correctly follows the decay chain and produces all decay radiations.
If you score in mgdraw without constraints on the emission time, the
resulting spectrum will be the time-integral of the full decay chain, thus
a beta from the Ar39 565 endpoint for each source ion, plus the Cl39betas
with their branchings.
Regards
Paola

> Dear fluka users,
>
> I enabled decays in Fluka and recorded the electrons from Cl39 beta decay
> with mgdraw.f.
> As a cross check, I got the branching ratio of each channel with different
> end-point energy from NNDC
> (https://www.nndc.bnl.gov/nudat2/dec_searchi.jsp)
>

> Energy
> (keV) End-point energy
> (keV) Intensity
> (%) Dose
> ( MeV/Bq-s )
> ________________________________
>
> ________________________________
>
> ________________________________
>
> ________________________________
>
> 44.6 16 ? 155 5 0.0019 % 19 8E-7 8
> 164.7 20 492 5 0.027 % 4 4.4E-5 7
> 211.8 20 612 5 0.580 % 20 0.00123 4
> 241.9 21 ? 687 5 0.0014 % 14 3E-6 3
> 285.0 21 ? 791 5 6E-4 % 6 1.6E-6 16
> 293.1 21 ? 810 5 0.0011 % 11 3E-6 3
> 338.7 22 ? 918 5 8E-4 % 8 3E-6 3
> 347.4 22 939 5 2.24 % 7 0.00778 25
> 356.8 22 ? 961 5 0.0011 % 11 4E-6 4
> 377.4 22 ? 1009 5 0.004 % 4 1.5E-5 15
> 410.1 22 1084 5 2.55 % 8 0.0105 3
> 417.2 22 ? 1100 5 6E-4 % 6 2.3E-6 23
> 527.8 23 ? 1349 5 0.006 % 6 3E-5 3
> 791.5 24 1924 5 83 % 3 0.657 24
> 908.7 24 2175 5 4.5 % 17 0.041 15
> 1530.4 24 3442 5 7.1 % 25 0.11 4
>

> and calculated the spectrum analytically.
> Please find attached the fluka output and analytical spectrum from my
> calculation.
>
>>From the plot, we see a discrepancy at lower energy end.
> It looks like in fluka there is a very high branching ratio of end-point
> energy, say 0.6MeV, which is not listed on NNDC website.
> Does anyone know why the discrepancy exists?
>

> Thank you!
> Guanying Zhu

Paola Sala
INFN Milano