Re: [fluka-discuss]: RULL variable in ENDRAW (mgdraw) to score gamma energy deposition

From: <me_at_marychin.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 20:40:54 +0800

Dear Riccardo,

Do you need energy deposition, position and photon energy as a single
set of triple-differential data? Is it ok to get two or three sets of
data, losing the correlation between the quantities?

Energy deposition, position and particle energy are the most commonly
scored quantities, input cards do the job very well. Depending on the
fine/coarse level of your bins, and depending on your answer to the
first paragraph, it may just take more input cards. If input cards are
too many to write manually, you may write a script to generate
USRBIN/USRBDX/AUXSCORE/... cards for your input file. This would be
cleaner than writing user routines and necessarily running a bunch of QA
tests before using them.

The line of attack is like this:
#1 use scoring cards
#2 add filters (e.g. AUXSCORE, comscw.f, fluscw.f)
#3 add multipliers (e.g. comscw.f, fluscw.f)
#4 access vulnerable quantities direct (e.g. RULL) -- which is really,
really the last resort which is very risky, as you saw from mgdraw's
RULL.

What do I mean by vulnerable quantities? RULL is a classic example. On
the other hand, there are fool-proof quantities we can intercept with
user routines all we want, e.g. counting the occurrence of different
ICODEs.

(Recommending against #4 has nothing to do with whether one is an
excellent programmer or not. Nothing about programming skills here. It
is about the way we communicate with a very complex code.)

:) mary

On 2017-02-24 19:19, dal_bello_at_stud.uni-heidelberg.de wrote:
> Dear Mary,
>
> thank you a lot for your answer.
> The other quantities I score are for example the position and energy
> of photons leaving the outermost part of my scintillator.
> Indeed, I need an event-by-event scoring. The ideal FLUKA scorer would
> be EVENTBIN, is there a way to retrieve the same information inside a
> user routine?
>
> I do not know if comscw.f is the ideal routine to obtain an
> event-by-event scoring.
>
> Thank you,
> Best regards,
> Riccardo Dal Bello
>
> Quoting me_at_marychin.org:
>
>> Dear Riccardo,
>>
>> You may explore the RULL in comscw.f instead. Not recommended though,
>> as you won't get apportioning. Are you absolutely sure that USRBIN
>> cannot answer your needs? I don't know what 'other quantities' you
>> need. USRBIN does score by region (just note that the normalisation
>> would be different from other choices of WHAT(1)s).
>>
>> Energy deposition is about the last thing to intercept with user
>> routines. Not a good idea.
>>
>> :) mary
>>
>> On 2017-02-24 17:15, dal_bello_at_stud.uni-heidelberg.de wrote:
>>> Dear FLUKA users,
>>>
>>> I have a question regarding the use of the entry ENDRAW in the
>>> mgdraw routine.
>>>
>>> My personalized mgdraw routine scores, among other quantities, the
>>> energy deposition in different regions of my detector (primary beam:
>>> gamma between 0. and 10. MeV).
>>> I tired to score the energy deposition accumulating the value of RULL
>>> in ENDRAW, however, I do not get correct value (lower values).
>>>
>>> I worked around the problem accumulating for each event the energy of
>>> gamma, e- and e+ entering and exiting the volumes (done in BXDRAW),
>>> but of course it is not a clean way to solve the problem because it
>>> slows the simulation and involves considerations about the rest mass
>>> of e+/e-, which may lead to errors in subtractions.
>>>
>>> I accumulate the values of RULL simply with:
>>>
>>> ENTRY ENDRAW ( ICODE, MREG, RULL, XSCO, YSCO, ZSCO )
>>> CALL GEOR2N ( MREG, NRGNAM, IERR2 )
>>>
>>> IF (NRGNAM(1:6).EQ.'SCINT0') THEN
>>> ERULL0 = ERULL0 + RULL
>>> ENDIF
>>>
>>> RETURN
>>>
>>> Where ERULL0 is a DOUBLE PRECISION variable initialized to 0 and
>>> re-set to 0 at the end of each event (EEDRAW).
>>>
>>> Being the values of energy deposition with RULL smaller than the
>>> actual ones, I suspect that RULL includes just some types of energy
>>> deposition.
>>> Is there a way to score in ENDRAW the correct energy deposition? I
>>> looked in previous documentation but unsuccessfully.
>>>

>>> Thank you,
>>> Best regards,
>>> Riccardo Dal Bello
>>>
>>> -------------------
>>>

>>> Attached: few energy deposition events in SCINT0 from a 4.5 MeV
>>> primary gamma beam
>>>
>>> 1. column: ID event
>>> 2. column: true energy deposition (done in BXDRAW)
>>> 3. column: ERULL0 value called in EEDRAW
>>>
>>> 4 0.39547E-02 0.33276E-03
>>> 6 0.45000E-02 0.49065E-03
>>> 9 0.37780E-02 0.24186E-03
>>> 11 0.28722E-02 0.33501E-03