Re: [fluka-discuss]: MC error calculation

From: Stefan E. Mueller <stefan.mueller_at_hzdr.de>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2024 09:34:00 +0100 (CET)

Dear Amandeep Sharma,

the FLUKA postprocessing routines (either invoked from FLAIR's
"Process"-Button in the "Run"->"Data" menu, or using directly the
executables in $FLUPRO/flutil/*suw) use the Central Limit Theorem to
express the statistical uncertainty of the scorer result as the standard
deviation (sigma) of a normal distribution. For this, the postprocessing
routines need at least 5 independent FLUKA runs.

See e.g.

https://indico.cern.ch/event/753612/contributions/3121551/attachments/1974578/3285956/MC_2019.pdf
(slides 20ff)

As a (crude) rule of thumb, the simulation has converged if this
uncertainty is better then 5 percent.

All other uncertainties (often called "systematic uncertainties")
unfortunately have to be (gu)es(s)timated by the user.

Cheers,

         Stefan

--
Stefan E. Mueller
Department of Information Services and Computing - Computational Science