Re: [fluka-discuss]: particle alpha

From: Paola Sala <paola.sala_at_orange.fr>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 16:47:27 +0100

Dear Annamaria
Probably I do not understand correctly your question, I'll try some hints:
You do not need anything specifics for alphas, besides the low-pwxs.
The PRECISION default already activates  the  transport of  all ions,
and the transport of neutrons down to thermal.
LOW-PWXS refer to neutrons...but: If it is not there, neutron
interactions are treated in a "multi-group" approach. This means both a
treatment based on neutron energy intervals, and some limitation in the
outcome of interactions,. In particular protons, alphas and other
charged are not really generated, their energy is simply deposited on
the point of production--> no alphas
With low-pwxs, you get two things: continuous neutron energy, AND fully
correlated generation of all interaction products--> yes alphas

Then, I see a problem in your geometry: the  second target region
(regSiC4) does not exist: it is defined as contained in a 10 micron long
cylinder, and  downstream
of a plane at 2.5 cm from the cylinder entrance. This is a null region,
thus you'll get no results from your boundary crossings.

In view of the short alpha range, if you want to be sure to see them it
would be worthwhile to add a usrtrack or a userbin scoring alphas within
the target.

You can also look at the fluka output file, at the end there is a
summary of particles produced in the run

Hope this helps
Paola