Re: Low energy neutrons and gammas transport

From: Alberto Fasso' (Alberto.Fasso@cern.ch)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 11:42:44 CEST

Dear Mr. Solovyev,

FLUKA is certainly well suited to handle neutron production and transport
in most materials (a list can be found in the FLUKA manual), within the
limits of its multigroup approach. Rare cases where this approach is not
recommended are: problems involving only one single scattering, and problems
where correlations between secondary particles are important.
For what concerns (n,gamma) processes, these can be simulated only in
materials for which the corresponding information is available in the
FLUKA neutron cross section library (in the FLUKA manual there is a list of
elements available: the last column of the table shows a "Y" if gamma
generation is available, and an "N" otherwise). Indeed, gamma generation
(and transport) is available for all the elements mentioned in your mail.

Best regards,

  Alberto Fassò

P.S. The address physics@fluka.org is meant mainly for people who wish
to discuss the physical models of FLUKA. For more practical or more
tecnical questions, it is preferable to write to the FLUKA discussion list,
so that other users may profit of the answer and possibly share their
experience. If you are interested in joining the list, send an e-mail to
Majordomo@fisica.unimi.it
containing the following single line
subscribe fluka-discuss

--
Alberto Fassò
CERN-EP/AIP, CH-1211 Geneve 23 (Switzerland)