Re: Energy deposit in thin regions

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sun Jun 13 2004 - 02:22:39 CEST

    Hi Paolo,

    your problem comes from a misunderstanding of how Fluka records energy
    deposition, which is different (and more accurate) than in other
    programs where the energy deposited by ionization is "dumped" in the middle
    (or at the beginning, or at the end) of a charged particle step.

    As a matter of fact, there are two kinds of energy depositions in Fluka:

    1) energy deposited by ionization by charged particles (dE/dx).
       This energy is NOT deposited at a point, but over a "step" (a trajectory
       between two points).
       This kind of energy deposition is interfaced to the MGDRAW entry, and is
       accessible as an array DTRACK(I),I=1,MTRACK (in common TRACKR).
       At each MGDRAW call, there are NTRACK substeps (usually NTRACK = 1, except
       in magnetic fields, where the trajectory is divided in several substeps),
       and corresponding MTRACK deposition events (MTRACK = 0 means no energy
       deposition, i.e. vacuum or neutral particle, otherwise MTRACK = 1, i.e.
       dE/dx energy deposition). This energy must be considered as DISTRIBUTED OVER
       THE WHOLE STEP.
       If instead of doing your own scoring, you were using the standard Fluka
       Fluka scoring via USRBIN, you would get the energy loss in a step
       apportioned to each bin traversed by the step, according to the fraction of
       the path length contained in each bin.

    2) energy deposition at a point. This can happen for elastic or
       inelastic recoils which are not transported and for low-energy
       neutron kerma (generic average energy of charged particles which are not
       necessarily identified). It can happen also when a particle is qstopping
       (but generally particles below energy cutoff are "ranged out" to rest,
       so their residual energy is deposited according to 1).
       This kind of energy deposition is interfaced to entry ENDRAW of the
       mgdraw subroutine. Note that this kind of "point" energy deposition
       generally concerns some approximation to the real physical reality
       (also a recoil deposits its energy over a path, but it is often so short
       that we can approximate it as deposition at a point).

    So, to answer specifically your question, the fact that the step ends at a
    point P (whether on a boundary or not) does not mean that the corresponding
    energy is deposited at that point.
    The energy deposited is deposited between the points
    XTRACK(0),YTRACK(0),ZTRACK(0) and XTRACK(NTRACK),YTRACK(NTRACK),ZTRACK(NTRACK)
    (i.a. over a a segment if NTRACK=1, otherwise over a curved path).

    I would avise you against using STEPSIZE, unless you are working with magnetic
    fields. You have the impression to getter better results, but you still are
    getting wrong results if you think that the energy is lost at
    XTRACK(NTRACK),YTRACK(NTRACK),ZTRACK(NTRACK). You have made the step smaller,
    so the error made assuming a point deposition is also smaller: but it is still
    an error. And STEPSIZE breaks the step optimization which is one of the best
    feature of Fluka.
    You will get much more accurate and fast results using the built-in
    USRBIN facility.

      Alberto

    --
    Alberto Fassò
    SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025