Re: In what unit are expressed USRBIN results when using deq99c routine and radioactive decay ?

From: Alfredo Ferrari (alfredo.ferrari@cern.ch)
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 23:29:18 CEST

    Dear Sebastien

    the results should be indeed in pSv/s, if everything is setup correctly.
    I would suggest to add also a pure fluence scoring (not weighted with
    deq99c) which will be in particles/cm^2/s and apply some "back of the
    envelope" average conversion factor, just to check everything is
    consistent.

    Obviously the results are already including the beam intensity if you
    specified its values in the irrprofi card. Sorry for the dumb question,
    did you input in irrprofi the beam intensities in particle/s?
    Did you checked in the output that the FLUKA "interpretation" of your
    cards (particularly those defining the irradiation profile) is the
    one you expect?

    What does it mean dose rates are much higher than expected? A factor ten
    or 10^6? I mean, could it be a somewhat surprising result still
    compatible with common sense, or is it nonsense?

                        Ciao!
                       Alfredo

    On Tue, 16 May 2006, Sebastien WURTH wrote:

    > Hello dear fluka users and developpers,
    >
    > I'm trying to score dose rate after several decay times with USRBIN and the
    > cards to simulate radioactive decay and scoring : RADDECAY, IRRPROFILE,
    > DCYSCORE and DCYTIMES.
    >
    > I use the fluence calculation of all particles (code 201) using fluka
    > executable linked with deq99c.f routine
    > in order to convert fluence to dose.
    >
    > According to the manual, DCYSCORE section, note 1. [...]all quantities
    > are expressed per unit time [...].
    >
    > I assumed that my results are expressed in pSv/s beacuse :
    >
    > - USRBIN when fluence is scored expresses its results in
    > part/cm²/primary particle
    > - With FLUSCW + deq99c.f, results are expressed in pSv/primary particle
    > - With IRRPROFILE, and DCYSCORE, results are expressed in pSv/s ==> IS
    > THAT TRUE, AFTER ALL ?
    >
    > I'm asking because the results are not as I expected, the dose rates are
    > far to important.
    > (They actually become lower when the decay times increase but...).
    >
    > Thank you kindly in advance for all your answers and advices.
    >
    > Sebastien.

    |  Alfredo Ferrari                ||  Tel.: +41.22.767.6119                  |
    |  CERN-AB                        ||  Fax.: +41.22.767.7555                  |
    |  1211 Geneva 23                 ||  e-mail: Alfredo.Ferrari@cern.ch        |
    |  Switzerland                    ||          Alfredo.Ferrari@mi.infn.it     |