USRYIELD Card Question

From: Harine, Katherine (Katherine.J.Harine@nasa.gov)
Date: Sat Aug 05 2006 - 11:57:48 CEST

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6B876.09305B3A

    After getting anomalous results for backscatter of heavy ions, I ran =
    FLUKA with a vacuum as a target. Particles went from region A to the =
    target which is region B. The USRBDX detectors used for neutrons, =
    protons, et cetera, gave the expected zero flux results when set for =
    one-way flux counting particles which scatter back, i.e. from region B =
    to region A. However, The USRYIELD card gave the same results as though =
    it were counting the incident flux also. In other words, the USRYIELD =
    card, which I use for determining the heavy ion flux is a two-way =
    detector. Is this what is intended? The description of the entries on =
    the USRYIELD card calls one region the "upstream" region and the other =
    the "downstream" region. Hence I made the incorrect assumption that =
    USRYIELD was a one-way detector when in fact it is a two-way detector. =
    Did I miss something in the manual? Is there a way to make USRYIELD a =
    one-way detector?

    Thank you for any help.

    - Katherine

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C6B876.09305B3A

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    charset=3Diso-8859-1">
    6.5.7233.28">
    <TITLE>USRYIELD Card Question</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    <!-- Converted from text/plain format -->
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>

    <P><FONT SIZE=3D2>After getting anomalous results for backscatter of =
    heavy ions, I ran FLUKA with a vacuum as a target.&nbsp; Particles went =
    from region A to the target which is region B.&nbsp; The USRBDX =
    detectors used for neutrons, protons, et cetera, gave the expected zero =
    flux results when set for one-way flux counting particles which scatter =
    back, i.e. from region B to region A.&nbsp; However, The USRYIELD card =
    gave the same results as though it were counting the incident flux =
    also.&nbsp; In other words, the USRYIELD card, which I use for =
    determining the heavy ion flux is a two-way detector.&nbsp; Is this what =
    is intended?&nbsp; The description of the entries on the USRYIELD card =
    calls one region the &quot;upstream&quot; region and the other the =
    &quot;downstream&quot; region.&nbsp; Hence I made the incorrect =
    assumption that USRYIELD was a one-way detector when in fact it is a =
    two-way detector.&nbsp; Did I miss something in the manual?&nbsp; Is =
    there a way to make USRYIELD a one-way detector?<BR>
    <BR>
    Thank you for any help.<BR>
    <BR>
    - Katherine<BR>