Re: USRBDX card

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 01:04:24 CEST

    In FLUKA, neutrons with energy lower than 19.6 MeV are transported and
    scored in the frame of a multigroup algorithm. In the present neutron
    cross section library there are 72 energy groups.
    It is not possible to score with a better resolution than offered by the 72
    groups. The program "knows" that a neutron is in a particular energy group,
    for instance in group 59, which means that its energy is somewhere between the
    lower and upper limit of the group (in this case between 0.61442 eV
    and 1.0130 eV) but its exact energy is not defined.
    For neutrons with energy higher than 19.6 MeV, transport is
    continuous and scoring can be done with any resolution.
    So, for what concerns neutron energies < 19.6 MeV:
    - it is not possible to request more than 72 energy bins
    - the limits of the energy bins are forced to coincide with those
      of the energy groups in the cross section library
    Above 19.6 MeV you can request as many energy bins as you wish.

    A new library with many more, finer groups is in preparation.

    Alberto

    --
    Alberto Fassò
    SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025