Re: USRBDX card

From: Nicole Patricia Lee Pratt-Boyden (npp598@bham.ac.uk)
Date: Sun Sep 24 2006 - 01:50:15 CEST

    Hi there!

    I can't answer in great detail as I'm still learning all this myself.

    My understanding is that below 19.6 MeV you are officially into Low
    Energy Neutron Transport territory. In that area the FLUKA code uses a
    multigroup transport algorithm, which uses 72 energy bins of set width
    in the range ~1E-14GeV - 19.6MeV. In this range, your energy bin
    boundaries are automatically forced to coincide with these preset ones,
    you cannot go smaller. (This can mean that you wind up with more/less
    bins than you requested.)

    If you have a look in the Fluka Manual (FM.pdf) there's a better
    explanation, I think, under the USRBDX entry, and also towards the back
    in the blurb about the physics of low energy neutron transport. I hope
    folks can correct me if I've got the wrong end of the stick!

    Best wishes,

    Nicole.