RE: Struggling to find error

From: Chris Theis (Christian.Theis@cern.ch)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 11:36:30 CET

    Hello Martin,

    I've quickly checked your input and you've spotted the problematic
    regions.
    The expansion and optimized rewriting of the regions V19 & V33 results
    in a huge amount of concatenated subregions.

    However, you might be able to simplify those regions as there seems to
    be some redundant information there. For example in V33 you subtract a
    union, but parts of this union are not enclosed by the bounding box of
    the resulting region and thus, they don't contribute. For example only
    the part ( -BP4___IN +BP4__OUT -GENP__03 +GENP__04) of the
    subtracted union in V33 should matter. But please verify this as I did a
    very quick check only due to a lack of time.
    Similar "manual optimizations" are likely to be applicable to V19.

    The geometry kernels implemented in FLUKA and the one which I wrote for
    SimpleGeo are actually totally different and based on different
    architectures for CSG trees. Thus, I'm not surprised that there could be
    a difference in the handling as SimpleGeo does not require any
    parentheses expansion. However, I'm pretty sure that there are also some
    tricky and non-obvious issues associated to SimpleGeo's approach, which
    are for the moment still lurking in the dark.

    Cheers
    Chris

    Chris Theis
    CERN/SC-RP - European Organization for Nuclear Research
    1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
    Phone: +41 22 767 8069                    Office: 892-2A-015
    e-mail: Christian.Theis@cern.ch           www: http://www.cern.ch/theis