Re: BOX & axes

From: Florian (florian.sommerer@cern.ch)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 16:06:03 CET

    Dear Chris!

    I think there is a misunderstanding. As far as I know the 3 vectors do
    not define height, width and length. Each of these vectors lie on one
    edge of the box and the length of each vector is the length of the edge.
    If you look into the manual p255 fig 8.2 (CERN, yellow report) you find
    a drawing how it works.

    Hope this helps.

    Regards, Florian

    Chris Theis wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm currently dealing with an old input file which uses BOX definitions
    > and came across the following issue, which is not really clear to me.
    > According to the manual the user has to define an origin of the box + 3
    > vectors for height, width & length. Furthermore, it's a requirement that
    > the user ensures perpendicularity of those vectors. However, nothing is
    > stated with respect to the orientation of the basis generated by those
    > vectors. I'm not sure whether it is a requirement that they form a
    > right-handed coordinate system and what is the effect if a left-handed
    > system is (accidentally) supplied? Probably somebody could shed some
    > light on this issue.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Chris

    Florian Sommerer
    European Organization for Nuclear Research
    CERN DSU/TT
    Mailbox Z08700
    Geneve 23
    CH-1211 Switzerland