RE: BOX & axes

From: Chris Theis (Christian.Theis@cern.ch)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 17:55:21 CET

    Hi Florian,

    Thanks for the quick answer, but as discussed the issue is a little more
    subtle than it seems at first glance. I'll try elaborate on it in more
    detail to explain the actual question:

    Usually, you define a box with a point (let's call it v) and three
    vectors h1, h2, h3 which all have a certain length. The nice thing about
    this is that you can implicitly define an arbitrary rotation. However,
    this is also where things become more tricky. For example if one wants
    to determine rotational angles from the basis formed by the h vectors it
    matters whether they form a left or a right-handed coordinate system.

    Thus, I was wondering whether FLUKA imposes any requirement on the
    specification of the h vectors (e.g. h1 crossprod h2 = h3)? I currently
    have an old input where I found a box with a left-handed coordinate
    system formed by the h vectors and I was not sure what FLUKA does in
    that case and if that poses a problem which is probably not obvious at
    the first look, like for example an RPP where min & max is accidentally
    swapped.

    Cheers
    Chris