RE:

From: Markus Brugger (Markus.Brugger@cern.ch)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 12:38:57 CET

    Hi,

    a couple of additional comments:

    source routine:
    ---------------
    - you set "wbeam = cos(z_ang)", i.e., you particles will be started in
    the positive z direction!
    - the "do loop" for the angles is not really needed (however not
    disturbing either)

    -> changing this then results in what is shown in 'nflu.ps', perhaps
    closer to what you expected to have?

    -> furthermore, your positions and angles are correlated, thus the
    reason why you actually 'sample' your object is that you have a
    different height (z_max=150cm) and width (x/y_max=100cm) -> guessing
    that's what you wanted to do

    ...on a different line we're not sure what exactly you would like to
    achieve by sampling the 'hemisphere' and to our mind one could
    distinguish two general cases:

    (1) since you sample out of a uniform cos(theta)^2, i.e., theta peaks at
    45deg you will get a uniform projection in x and y but not a uniform
    distribution on your hemisphere (see "2dplot.ps" and "3dplot.ps"), thus
    the way you sample in your input file seems somewhat a bit "complicated"
    -> this connection wasn't at all obvious to us in the first place ;-)
    -> perhaps in a simpler way one could also start from a homogeneous flat
    (x/y) distribution and either irradiate your object in a flat way (i.e.,
    by simply using the available SOURCE command) or if you want to do
    sample also the direction then you could put everything accordingly into
    your own source routine.

    (2) if you want to uniformly sample your hemisphere you should start
    from an uniform distribution in cos(theta) (e.g.,
    z_ang=acos((oneone-twotwo*flrndm(xi))) -> this gives you a sphere, thus
    only take the half-space of it) and then sample in addition the
    direction inside this sphere (again take care about wbeam)

    hope this helps

    Markus

                          \|||/
                          (o o)
    |Markus Brugger Markus.Brugger@cern ch |
    |CERN |
    |Div. AB/ATB/EET, 865-2D-008 office: +41/22/767-6556 |
    |CH-1211 Geneve 23 fax: +41/22/766-9498 |
    |Switzerland mobile: +41/76/487-3415 |