RE: Photoneutron Yiled

From: Markus Brugger (Markus.Brugger@cern.ch)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 15:41:43 CET

    Hi Sunil,

    the input file helped to understand what you observe and as far as we
    understand this seems to be consistent:

    - your target is 50x50x144mm (Cu case) and your electron beam has a
    kinetic energy of 2.04 GeV
    - running your input file and processing it with 'usysuw' we could
    reproduce the plot you're sending (using the total cumulative)
    - given the dimensions of your target and the way you use USRYIELD you
    observe not only the single interactions but you are also affected by
    absorption (function of geometry,...), e.g., changing your input to a
    shorter target results as expected in a peak at lower angles

    important remark: the values from USRYILD are normalized as double
    differential: dN/dE/dOmega. In order to get integrated results you still
    have to multiply by the solid angle (unfortunately the statement in the
    usysuw output is a bit misleading!)

    another option: in case you want to score on the interaction level set
    WHAT(4) and WHAT(5) in your USRYIELD card to -1. and -2. respectively ->
    this means that you score neutrons as they come out from interactions
    and not as they come out from the target. As mentioned before, the two
    cases are only equivalent in the case of a thin target.

    hope this helps, cheers

    Markus
                          \|||/
                          (o o)
    |Markus Brugger Markus.Brugger@cern ch |
    |CERN |
    |Div. AB/ATB/EET, 865-2D-008 office: +41/22/767-6556 |
    |CH-1211 Geneve 23 fax: +41/22/766-9498 |
    |Switzerland mobile: +41/76/487-3415 |