Re: Thermal Neutron Capture Gammas

From: Lindley Anne Winslow (LAWinslow@lbl.gov)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 23:09:19 CET

    Thank you Alberto.

    I am sorry I forgot the material. I have attached my setup this time.

    It is Liquid Scintillator C9H12. I couldn't find a reference for (n,alpha) on carbon12 quickly but my understanding is (n,gamma) on hydrogen should be the dominant process. Gammas should be generated for both these materials and some are.

    The number quoted below is just the counted number of events with gammas.
    The sum of the weights of these particles is ~2100 which is the same as the weights of the incoming neutrons.

    I also see very little deuterium or carbon13 produced. When I run thermal neutrons in this environment I would expect no fewer capture gammas than neutrons entering the volume (and not escaping).

    Lindley