simulating soft errors (answer from S. Agosteo)

From: Giuseppe Battistoni (Giuseppe.Battistoni@mi.infn.it)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 13:07:49 CEST

    Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 11:24:06 +0200
    From: Stefano Agosteo <agosteo@ipmce7.cesnef.polimi.it>
    To: ashaynarsale@hotmail.com
    Cc: 'Giuseppe Battistoni' <Giuseppe.Battistoni@mi.infn.it>
    Subject: simulating soft errors

    Dear Ashay,

    I have simulated the response functions to neutrons of a silicon telescope
    coupled to a polyethylene converter. The response functions were scored
    using the DETECT card.

    Anyway, I think that if you want to consider charge collection and the
    field-funneling effect, an ad-hoc algorithm running offline should be used.
    As far as I know, FLUKA does not simulate the "electronic" part of silicon
    devices. Moreover, if you are interested in low-energy neutron interactions
    you should check that all the nuclear reactions (neutron absorption etc.)
    are included in the cross-sections together with the transport of the
    secondary particles. In the case of the reaction on B-10, I never checked in
    the most recent version of the code whether the alpha particles and the Li-7
    ion are transported or the energy is deposited with the kerma approximation.

    Also the dimensions of your device could be critical from the point of view
    of multiple scattering of electrons. Now in FLUKA electron single scattering
    can be switched on, but presently I have no experience with that.

    Best regards

    Stefano

    Stefano Agosteo

    Dipartimento di Ingegneria Nucleare