Re: electrons Fluka

From: Alberto Fasso' (fasso@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 02:49:08 CEST

    You say "no electromagnetic shower should develop", and I guess that you
    you have "derived the dE/dx from FLUKA", based on the energy deposited in
    the target, which is 2.7 MeV (indeed 2.7/(8.96 * 0.2) = 1.5, as you report).
    But try to score what escapes from the target (in addition to the primary
    electrons, of course), and you will find, per each incident 1.5 TeV electron:
         0.687 electrons with a total energy of 669 GeV
         0.044 positrons with a total energy of 4.7 GeV
         0.891 photons with a total energy of 179 GeV
    (compare these large escaping energies with only 2.7 MeV deposited in the
    target).
    All that energy is LOST by the primary electron but not DEPOSITED inside
    the target. Maybe that is not a fully developed shower, but there is a lot
    of multiplication. The target must be much much thinner if you want to
    calculate a simple dE/dx.

    But even with a very thin target, keep in mind that Bethe's theory gives you
    the energy lost, but not the energy deposited. Energetic delta rays will escape
    from the target, so the energy deposited will always be less than the energy
    lost. You should not compare with Bethes dE/dx, but with Bethe's RESTRICTED
    dE/dx, which however I don't think has been tabulated by Seltzer and Berger.

    Alberto

    --
    Alberto Fasso`
    SLAC-RP, MS 48, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park CA 94025