Thermal and epithermal neutrons

From: Tang, Alfred (atang@phys.ksu.edu)
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 21:11:41 CEST

    Dear FLUKA experts,
    I know that FLUKA has a very good reputation in neutron simulations down
    to the thermal neutron regime (<1eV). In the case of complex materials
    such as hydrogen rich compounds, my understanding is that the chemical
    bindings of the molecules affect neutron transport because of the
    rotation and vibration of the molecules. MCNPX deals with chemical
    binding below 2eV (epithermal neutron regime) by letting the
    S(\alpha,\beta) treatment take over the free atom model. It seems that
    FLUKA does not ask for information about the chemical formula of the
    molecule nor specify any S(\alpha,\beta) treatment. Shall I assume that
    FLUKA also uses a free atom model above 2eV? My real question is "How
    does FLUKA simulate neutrons below 2eV?"
    Regards,
    Alfred

    Alfred Tang
    Physics Department