Re: [fluka-discuss]: Voxel geometry - region dose scoring - it it valid?

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2017 15:15:00 +0100

Dear Alex,

with dose to the tumour it's indeed meant the average dose over the tumour
mass. However, in this case one usually has a pretty uniform distribution,
meaning that the dose value remains rather constant over the tumour mass.

Now, the alternative procedure you mention (scoring ENERGY per region and
then dividing by the region mass) is totally equivalent to the one you
adopted (scoring DOSE per region - which turns out to be ENERGY divided by
the region material density, i.e. GeV/(g/cm3) that as already explained
for the special case of score per region is not a dose, but the product
dose*volume - and then dividing by the region volume). In both cases you
will get the average dose over the region (the total dose does not exist).

Best

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti
CERN-EN/STI