Re: [fluka-discuss]: Scoring Absorbed Dose

From: Francesco Cerutti <Francesco.Cerutti_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:20:30 +0100

Dear Mina,

deposited energy and absorbed dose are evidently related, one could even
dare to say that basically they are the same thing, just differently
normalized. But I think you are overlooking a basic aspect: actually the
strict relationship is between deposited energy *density* and dose. Let's
consider that with a regular USRBIN mesh you get a local value and with a
USRBIN per region you get a global value. In case of ENERGY, this will
yield local energy density [GeV/cm3] and total (or integrated) energy
[GeV], respectively. Note that these are two different quantities, as
their units demonstrate, and both are well defined and meaningful, because
energy is an extensive quantity, increasing with volume (or with
mass=volume*density). Instead in case of DOSE, calculated by FLUKA as
ENERGY/density, you will have local dose [GeV/g] and average dose times
volume [GeV/(g/cm3)], respectively. The second quantity is not a dose,
since a total (or integrated) dose does not make sense! And you have to
divide it - divide, not multiply - by the region volume in order to get
back the dose averaged over the region.
So you can happily compare the SCOREd ENERGY ([GeV], with no input volume)
divided by the region mass (volume*density) - this way getting the average
dose - to the USRBIN (per region) DOSE divided by the region volume. But
you cannot call "dose" the value produced by the USRBIN per region, being
the latter an odd quantity unless you divide it by the region volume.

As you will score, e.g., PROTON, regular USRBIN on one side and USRBIN per
region and SCORE on the other will yield you fluence [cm-2] and
tracklength [cm], respectively. Here again two different and meaningful
quantities.

Hope this helps

Francesco

Francesco Cerutti