RE: [fluka-discuss]: Possibile error in Barium133 isotope decay

From: Eleftherios Skordis <eleftherios.skordis_at_cern.ch>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 10:30:49 +0000

Hi Francesco,

and thank you for a very well explained question.

"So, to sum up: it would seem that when generating a primary Barium isotope, FLUKA does not choose one channel decay, but does them all together every time, resulting in a unphysical situation."

To answer to the outcome of your research, what you are saying is partly correct.
Every decay product has a chance of appearing (e.g. http://nucleardata.nuclear.lu.se/toi/nuclide.asp?iZA=560133). What FLUKA is doing (by design) in semi-Analog mode, is to reproduce these results on average after a statistically significant amount of decays. However since it is not fully-Analog the results cannot be used (out of the box) for event by event spectroscopy analysis since the coincidence summing would be unrealistic, and especially dominant if your detector is very close to the source.

Kind regards

Lefteris

Eleftherios Skordis
Dep. EN/STI, CERN